Alcoholic beverages, tobacco products, currency, etc.

In General, passengers do not have to pay duty on used items brought into Japan for personal use.



Residents and non-residents of Japan may receive duty free treatment for three 760ml bottles into Japan.



Residents and Non-residents of Japan may receive duty free treatment for 400 cigarettes, 100 cigars, 20 individual packages of heat-not-burn tobacco, or 500 grams of other kinds of tobacco. If a visitor brings in more than one kind of tobacco product, the total allowance is equivalent to 500 grams.

*From 1st October 2021, the allowance will be changed to 200 cigarettes, 50 cigars, 10 individual packages, etc. and 250g of other kinds of tobacco.



Each passenger may receive duty free treatment for 2 ounces of perfume into Japan.


The duty-free allowance for gift and other items except liquor, tobacco and perfume that you bring into Japan, apart from personal possessions is 200,000 yen (market value).

Unaccompanied Luggage

All passengers who are having articles shipped separately, or who have unaccompanied luggage, two copies of the Declaration of Accompanied Articles and Unaccompanied Articles (Form C5360-B) forms are required to submit at the time of your entry, one of which will be returned to you with the seal of certification by a Customs officer. Such declaration is necessary to obtain duty and/or tax exemption status.

Such items must be imported within six months of the date of arrival in Japan. Without these completed forms, passengers must pay duty charges on all new items brought unaccompanied into Japan, except those goods valued under 10,000 yen. If these forms are completed, such items will be subject to duty charges only if their value plus the value of accompanied items exceeds 200,000 yen.

Those passengers who are moving to Japan may exempt personal and household effects from duties by filing two of the aforementioned forms, if another carrier is sending such articles.

Passengers will receive the declaration forms in their aircraft or at Japanese customs.

The Form: Declaration of Accompanied Articles and Unaccompanied ArticlesOpen a new window



If you are carrying cash or other means of payment exceeding 1 million yen, you are required to declare to Customs. Please ask a Customs officer at a seaport/ airport for a blank form of the Declaration of Carrying of Means of payment, etc.  
The Form: Declaration of Carrying of Means of Payment, Etc.Open a new window