General Information

Telephone inquiry hours TEL: 213-617-6700
9:30 am to 12:00 pm
1:00 pm to 5:00 pm

Monday through Friday, except certain U.S. and Japanese holidays


Japan Visa Information Hotline TEL: 1-202-499-1468
24 hours, English Only. You will be charged a domestic call fee for your call.


Q1. Do I need a certain amount of validity on my passport?
A1. Japan does not require a 6-month validity, as long as your ordinary passport (no travel document) is valid at the time of travel.
Q2. I have a criminal record/I have been arrested, can I still enter Japan?
A2. An applicant with an arrest or criminal record can direct inquiries directly to Japanese Immigration. Information on Denial of Landing (Article 5) could be found here.
Q3. Now I have a visa. Am I guaranteed entry to Japan?
A3. Please note that a visa itself does not guarantee landing permission. It is one condition that applies to landing at a port-of-entry. You must obtain landing permission during immigration procedures.
Q4. I forgot some documents in my application packet. Can you print my missing documents?
A4. Please print out all of the documents. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Q5. I live in xyz. Can I apply at the Los Angeles Consulate?
A5. We accept applications from those who are residents of our area of jurisdiction.

Q6. I want to apply by mail. What additional documents do I need?
A6. A self-addressed prepaid stamped envelope for USPS must be submitted along with the Release of Liability. Our office is not responsible for the loss or delay of passports in the mail. In some cases, personal appearance or additional documents may be required.
Q7. How long will it take to process my visa?
A7. Generally, processing time is about 5 business days. Some cases may require referral to Japan Headquarters and require additional processing time.
Q8. How much do completed visas cost?
A8. Please check the Visa Fee Page. We accept cash only. Personal checks and credit cards are not accepted.
Q9. I am here in the US on B1/B2 or temporary status. Can I apply at Los Angeles while I am here?
A9. No, only those with long-term resident status in the U.S. can apply for a visa.
Proof of residency includes the following:
  • U.S. passport (U.S. citizen)
  • Alien registration card (e.g. U.S. green card)
  • Valid long-term visa (e.g. F1, J1, H1B, O1)