| Japanese (日本語)

Passport Travel & Visa
Office InformationPassport Renewal Lost Passport

           Japanese Passport Application/Renewal


(1) One Application Form (please use BLACK ink)

(2) One Family Registry (Koseki Tohon or Koseki Shohon), issued within six months is required if:

- Passport is expired or lost

- Domicile or Name has changed (to add a non-Japanese spouse's name for the first time, an official document such as a green card or marriage certificate to verify the spelling of the name is also required)

- A minor child's parents are divorced, to show proof of custody

(3) One photo, taken within six months

- Size of face, from head to chin should be between 3.2 - 3.6cm

- Should be facing forward with plain background

- No hats, masks or sunglasses

- School picture may not be accepted

- Best if taken at a photo studio as grainy digital camera photos may not be accepted

(4) Current Passport

(5) Proof of Residence (Driver License, Checkbook, Mail addressed to applicant)

(6) Green Card (for Permanent Residents)/U.S. Passport of Birth Certificate (for Dual Citizens) *for dual citizens born outside of the U.S., a Consular Report of Birth Abroad Certificate will be required

2. FEES:
Will be collected at the time of the passport pick-up. Cash, money order or cashiers check ONLY (exact amount please). However, for security reasons, for one-day consular service, only money order or cashiers check will be accepted (made out to Consulate General of Japan):

 $143.00 (10 year passport)
 $ 98.00 (5 year passport)
 $ 54.00 (5 year passport for children under 12 years)  
 $ 54.00 (Amended passport)

Five working days. Pick-up must be done by the applicant within six months of the application date.

Please note: 

- Applicants under the age of 20 years may apply only for a 5-year passport.

- Even applicants age 0 must apply for their own passports.

- You will need to fill out your registered domicile on the application form, so please research it beforehand.

- You may designate someone to apply on your behalf. On the front side of the application, please be sure to sign on the dotted line and inside the box (this is the signature that will appear on the passport). Also, on the back side, please write your name in Japanese and fill out the bottom section. The designated person will be asked to show a form of identification.

- If you wish to request a passport application form by mail, please send a 9” x 12” self-addressed stamped envelope with $1.42 in postage (application form may not be folded). If requesting more than 3 applications, please check postage charge. Please enclose a memo with your request for the number of copies and specify either a 5 or 10 year passport application. Please be aware we DO NOT accept any application submissions by mail. Individuals MUST submit their applications in person.

- For applicants who reside a long-distance from the greater Los Angeles area and within our jurisdiction, (such as the state of Arizona , San Diego County , Santa Barbara County , etc.) passports will be ready for pick-up between 3:30pm – 4:00pm on the same day, if application is submitted by 11:30am. Please call our office to confirm whether your place of residence is considered to be long-distance from our office.





© Consulate General of Japan in Los Angeles. All rights reserved.