Japanese Passport Application/Renewal
1. REQUIRED DOCUMENTS:
(1) One Application Form (please use BLACK ink)
(2) One Family Registry (Koseki Tohon or Koseki Shohon), issued
within six months is required if:
- Passport is expired or lost
- Domicile or Name has changed (to add a non-Japanese spouse's name for the first time, an official document such as a green card or marriage certificate to verify the spelling of the name is also required)
- A minor child's parents are divorced, to show proof of custody
(3) One photo, taken within six months
- Size of face, from head to chin should be between 3.2 - 3.6cm
- Should be facing forward with plain background
- No hats, masks or sunglasses
- School picture may not be accepted
- Best if taken at a photo studio as grainy digital camera photos may not be accepted
(4) Current Passport
(5) Proof of Residence (Driver License, Checkbook, Mail addressed to applicant)
(6) Green Card (for Permanent Residents)/U.S. Passport of Birth Certificate (for Dual Citizens) *for dual citizens born outside of the U.S., a Consular Report of Birth Abroad Certificate will be required
Will be collected at the time of the passport pick-up. Cash, money order or cashiers check ONLY (exact amount please). However, for security reasons, for one-day consular service, only money order or cashiers check will be accepted (made out to Consulate General of Japan):
(10 year passport)
$100.00 (5 year passport)
$ 55.00 (5 year passport for
children under 12 years)
$ 55.00 (Amended passport)
3. PROCESSING TIME:
Five working days. Pick-up must be done by the applicant within six months of the application date.
- Applicants under the age of 20 years may apply only for a 5-year passport.
- Even applicants age 0 must apply for their own passports.
- You may designate someone to apply on your behalf.
On the front side of the application, please be sure to sign on
the dotted line and inside the box (this is the signature that will
appear on the passport). Also, on the back side, please write your
name in Japanese and fill out the bottom section. The designated
person will be asked to show a form of identification.
you wish to request a passport application by mail, please send
a 9” x 12” self-addressed stamped envelope with $1.36 in postage
(application form may not be folded). If requesting more than 3 applications, please check postage charge. Please enclose a memo with
your request for the number of copies and specify either a 5 or
10 year passport application.
applicants who reside a long-distance from the greater Los Angeles area
and within our jurisdiction, (such as the state of Arizona , San
Diego County , Santa Barbara County , etc.) passports will be ready
for pick-up between 3:30pm – 4:00pm on the same day, if application is submitted by 11:30am. Please call our office to confirm whether your place
of residence is considered to be long-distance from our office.